/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

Java, JavaScript, jQuery, jsNode, – what should I know?

Hi, I’m learning the hard way as I go along teaching myself to build a website I have a vision for, but no funds to pay a professional. I don’t have anyone in my personal circle whom I can ask questions to so I research and read on the topics I am stuck on constantly. I know there is a lot that I don’t know but even in the early stages I am confident that I am in it for the long haul with my end-goal being capable of becoming a full-stack developer.

Now that I am starting to get into JavaScript I am struggling to find good resources that explain WHY the code works when you put a string of terms together. I am figuring it out slowly by looking for cause/effect and some of it is beginning to make sense. Meanwhile I see names being tossed around: Java, JavaScript, jQuery, jsNode, etc…every one mentions them for different solutions and yet they all sound the same to me.

I have a lot of questions and have resigned myself to look dumb in asking because I genuinely want to know and can’t seem to find any one article that gives me the answers to my more basic questions. I would really appreciate it if someone would be willing to have a conversation and educate me on the following information, in regards to everything in coding that includes the word “Java”:

Are they all based on the same basic foundation?
Are file structures different for each?
Are there any examples of files that have not been minified, so I can get an idea of good structure and practice?
Do I need to be learning the different ones in a certain order?
Is there one that is the ultimate “must” for a full-stack developer?
Can I mix-and-match sets of code?

to post a comment
JavaScript

4 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@NogDogJan 25.2023 — "Java" and "JavaScript" are two totally separate languages (which is confusing for pretty much everyone at first ;)) While there are some aspects of them that you could say are similar, basically the main thing they have in common is the word "Java" in their names. For now, I'd say forget about "Java", unless there's some specific reason you'd need to use it, which I frankly doubt.

> @JMM7#1650214 Is there one that is the ultimate "must" for a full-stack developer?

You must know HTML, CSS, and (the vast majority of the time) JavaScript; all for things on the client side (running in the browser).

For the server side, there are many options, from PHP to Ruby, Python to C#, Node.js (a server-side version of JavaScript), and even the aforementioned Java -- just to name a few. Which one is "best" is dependent on many things, including very subjective personal preferences.

Along with the server-side language options (and any framework you want to use with that language), you're probably going to need some sort of database. Again there are numerous options and types of solutions, but it's probably a good idea to learn about traditional relational databases, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL; and then maybe later start exploring non-SQL solutions if/when that seems needed.

> @JMM7#1650214 Are there any examples of files that have not been minified, so I can get an idea of good structure and practice?

Probably the best place to find a wide range of code examples is in [u][Github](https://github.com/)[/u], which is also a good place for you to explore when you find yourself wanting to use ready-made solutions for various problems instead of re-inventing the wheel, so to speak. It's also a good thing to learn to use yourself to manage your own source code and its change history.
@sibertJan 25.2023 — > @JMM7#1650214 Now that I am starting to get into JavaScript I am struggling to find good resources that explain WHY the code works when you put a string of terms together. I am figuring it out slowly by looking for cause/effect and some of it is beginning to make sense.

The best resource I found is http://w3schools.com Not quite up to date, but it it still one of the best explainer IMHO.

> Meanwhile I see names being tossed around: Java, JavaScript, jQuery, jsNode, etc...every one mentions them for different solutions and yet they all sound the same to me.

Focus on Javascript. Forget about the other to begin with.

> I have a lot of questions and have resigned myself to look dumb in asking because I genuinely want to know and can't seem to find any one article that gives me the answers to my more basic questions. I would really appreciate it if someone would be willing to have a conversation and educate me on the following information, in regards to everything in coding that includes the word "Java":

> Are they all based on the same basic foundation?

No. Javascript and JQuery is relatives sort of. JQuery is a fancy heavy coat to Javascript. You run faster without this overcoat IMO.

> Are file structures different for each?

Java, Javascript and JQuery are languages. Node.js is a framework. All languages makes about the same thing, but sounds different. And some is harder to learn. But the basic structure of counting sheeps is about the same in all languages.

> Are there any examples of files that have not been minified, so I can get an idea of good structure and practice?

Again a good starter is http://w3schools.com

> Do I need to be learning the different ones in a certain order?

Yes. 1. HTML is the foundation. 2. CSS is the beautifier. 3. Javascript is what makes thing happens.

> Is there one that is the ultimate "must" for a full-stack developer?

This is a tricky question with a religious touch. Which should you learn first. English, German or French? In which order? Why? My simple advice is to begin with frontend (HTML, CSS and Javascript) and take it from there. And then add and learn what you need to get the job done.

> Can I mix-and-match sets of code?

Yes and No. You cannot mix languages in the same "sentence" if you want to communicate well. But you can make packages of different languages and pull together to a "building".
@JMM7authorJan 26.2023 — @NogDog#1650215 Thank you! I have pretty well mastered the html and css stuff, although I still need to do some research on meeting accessibility standards. I just checked out GitHub for the first time. The libraries are fantastic and I was able to at least view some well structured JavaScript files. Now to do more studying!
@JMM7authorJan 26.2023 — @sibert#1650216 Thanks for taking the time to answer each question, it was very helpful! I will keep working in JavaScript until I am fluent (or at least not inept 😅 ) and then move into the next area!

Success!

Help @JMM7 spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.25,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({