/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

How to make a dictionary website

Hi all,

I am new to this field, and I need some help.
I want to make a dictionary website in Japanese and English. I was going to make it from scratch learning php and stuff, but if there is anyother way to make it (maybe purchasing something), please let me know?

Thank you!

to post a comment
PHP

11 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@kurinekoauthorMar 24.2009 — I found some resource and I want to know if this is what I need.

http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_ref_directory.asp

Thank you!
@svidgenMar 25.2009 — I doubt that's what you need. But, you'll need to be more specific about what you're doing and which aspects of the project you need help with.
@kurinekoauthorMar 25.2009 — I want to make a dictionary like website in Japanese and English.

It is like http://www.merriam-webster.com/, but it is going to be both in japanese and english like http://www.alc.co.jp (this site is in Japanese).

I want the matched results listed, and possible words listed separately.

I do not know where to start. I am hoping to get some idea what I need to learn at least.

Sorry I cant be more specific because I have not even started building the site and I do not have enough background about web.

Right now I can build basic sites using dreamweaver, and I learned basic CSS and Flash all by myself, thats all. But I want to be able to build more advanced sites.

I am searching for more information by myself, but at the same time, I would like to have some advice from people who are already in the field.

Please advise. Thank you.
@svidgenMar 25.2009 — If you just need a practical solution, you'll want to try to hook into an existing database via an API. It's possible that google or answers.com have something you can use. However, I presume this is a learning project ... So, you should find yourself a nice PHP and MySQL tutorial.

If you're looking for a book, get something like Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL by the O'reilly press.
@kurinekoauthorMar 25.2009 — I will check the tutorials and an API . Thank you.

Actually, I have got some tutorials about php.

I got the basic tutorial by lynda.com, and advanced tutorials by phpVideoTutorials.com. I started watching the basic one, but I do not understand it at all. Seems too difficult!

And I was not sure if this was what I needed. If it was not, I would be just wasting my time.

So I wanted to make sure, but now I know I should keep watching the tutorials I have.

And one more question.

phpVideoTutorials.com is to make a job search site ( I am going to apply it to make a dictionary site later) from scratch.

Do you recommend me to learn how to make sites like that from scratch, or do you rather recommend me to buy a template like http://osc.template-help.com/zencart_23396/index.php?

This template is for jewelry shop, but this is close to what I want to make.

Considering the fact that I am new to php or mySQL, which one do you recommend?

Thank you again.
@svidgenMar 25.2009 — In terms of functionality, it might be best to find a tutorial that outlines similar functionality to what you want. In terms layout, if you've previously worked with dreamweaver, you could probably build a template yourself. But, it's really up to you. PHP works really nicely for starting from an HTML file.
@kurinekoauthorMar 25.2009 — I will try to make my own template for now. I will come back and might ask you some more questions later.

Thank you for your advice.
@maverick01Sep 29.2022 — Hello kurineko,

I want to build an online dictionary and same as you before, in wondering how to start. So I was wondering how your project ended up?

Thanks
@NogDogSep 29.2022 — @maverick01#1647577

Don't hold your breath waiting on a reply in a 14-years-old thread. ;)
@ginerjmSep 29.2022 — I fail to see why this site doesn't lock posts that are more than a year old. Or some time period.
@Steve_R_JonesmoderatorSep 29.2022 — {"locked":true}

Success!

Help @kurineko spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.20,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({